Also Known As: Linde Air Products Div. Of Union Carbide Corp. , Linde , Linde Center , Chandler Plant , Chandler Street Plant, Linde Chandler Plant
State: New York
Time Period: 1945-1947
Facility Type: Atomic Weapons Employer
Facility Description: The Linde Air Products facility, also known as the Chandler Plant, was involved in the development and production of barrier for the Oak Ridge Diffusion Plant. During World War II, Linde was part of the Carbide and Carbon Chemical Corporation, later known as Union Carbide.
Linde Air Products is listed as an Atomic Weapons Employer (AWE) site and as a Department of Energy (DOE) site under the EEOICPA.
As of 04/19/2015, the total compensation paid under Parts B and E of the EEOICPA, including medical compensation, for workers suffering from the effects of having worked at Linde Air Products is $2,746,819.
Linde Air Products Workers:
If you or your parent worked at this or any other AWE facility and became ill, you may be entitled to compensation of up to $150K plus medical benefits from the US Department of Labor. Call EEOICPA Counsel Hugh Stephens at 1-855-EEOICPA (336-4272) or fill out the form to the right, even if your claim has been accepted or denied.
We can help with all OWCP (Federal Workers Compensation) claims, impairments, wage loss and health care. 2495 Main Street, Suite 442 Buffalo, NY.
The Linde Air Products Division of Union Carbide operated a plant in Tonawanda, New York, for the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) from 1942 through approximately 1948. The facility was known as the Ceramics Plant. Uranium production and some nickel processing were conducted at the site under several contracts;including W-7401-Eng-14. During the first 3 years, pitchblende ore from,the Belgian Congo and concentrates from Colorado Plateau ore were converted to black oxide (U3O8,). Residues from the pitchblende processing were stored at a portion of the former Lake Ontario Ordnance Works, now known as the Department of Energy (DOE) Niagara Falls Storage Site. The refinery residues from the domestic ore were moved to the nearby Haist property (now wastes for the refinery owned by Ashland Oil Company). Some liquid operation were disposed of in sanitary sewers, storm sewers, and in shallow on-site wells. The facility also contained a process that converted black oxide into uranium oxide (UO2). It operated at the Ceramics Plant for about 1 year. A separate building (No. 38) housed a third process for converting the uranium,oxide to “green salt” (uranium tetrafluoride UF4). This process was used in conjunction with the Electromet Niagara Falls operation during World War II and for the following 2 years. At the second facility (known as the Chandler Street Buffalo), Linde developed and produced non-radioactive the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant under contract W-26-121-Eng-46. Other contracts have been identified, but the exact nature of the work involved is unknown: W-7401-Eng-15 (black oxide, October 17, 1942), W-17-028-Eng-29 (ore concentrate, March 4, 1945), and AT(JO-I)-GEN-165 (type of material and date unknown).
The Linde Division property in Tonawanda where the ceramics plant was located is bordered on the north and east by other industries; on the south by small businesses, industries, and undeveloped land; and on the west by a golf course. Five buildings (Buildings 14, 30,31, 37, and 38) were involved in the uranium separation and conversion process (Figure 28). Building 14 (now fabrication facilities, offices, and storage area) was used for small-scaledevelopment of the separation process. Black oxide conversion touranium dioxide was carried out in Building 30 (now a shipping and receiving warehouse). The product from Building 30 was then transferred to Building 38 (currently a warehouse) where fluorination resulted in an end product of uranium tetrafluoride. Buildings 31 and 37 were also used in these operations. Building 37 is not being used currently.
This facility is owned by the Linde Air Products Division of the Union Carbide Corporation. Union Carbide constructed Building 14 in the mid-1930’s. MED constructed four buildings (30, 31, 37, and 38) on land owned by Union Carbide. The buildings were transferred to Linde upon termination of the AEC contract.