Also Known As: Rems, Inc.
Time Period: AWE 1943-1944; Residual Radiation 1945-1994, 1996; DOE 1995 (remediation)
Facility Type: Atomic Weapons Employer, Department of Energy
Facility Description: Between June 1943 and July 1944, DuPont and the University of Chicago subcontracted the Baker Brothers company to machine roll metal rods into uranium slugs that were used for fuel in the world’s first production reactors located in Oak Ridge, TN and Hanford, WA.
Environmental cleanup under the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program was conducted in 1995. This work was performed under the Bechtel National Inc. umbrella contract for DOE site environmental remediation. This site’s remedial action was certified complete in 2001.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
Baker Brothers Site is listed as an Atomic Weapons Employer (AWE) site under the EEOICPA.
Special Exposure Cohort (SEC) Classes:
All Atomic Weapons Employees who worked at the Baker Brothers site in Toledo, Ohio, during the period from June 1, 1943, through December 31, 1944, for a number of work days aggregating at least 250 work days, occurring either solely under this employment, or in combination with work days within the parameters established for one or more other classes of employees included in the Special Exposure Cohort.
The Baker Brothers Site was located in Toledo, Ohio and is now known as the Toledo, Ohio Site. In 1943, the Manhattan Engineer District agreed to use Baker Brothers, Inc. to machine and shape natural uranium (uranium-238) from processed uranium metals for the Clinton Semi-Works in Tennessee and the Hanford nuclear reactor in Washington State. Between 1943 and 1944 when their subcontract was terminated, the Baker Brothers facility machined between 90 and 300 tons of natural uranium. Following termination of their subcontract, the facility was decontaminated and believed to be compliant with 1944 contamination guidelines. However, in 1989, the Department of Energy (DOE) surveyed the facility and detected localized contamination that was above acceptable levels for 1989. As a result, in 1990 the Toledo, Ohio Site was included in the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) for remediation. When the facility was sold in 1992, it came to the attention of DOE that contaminated soil and debris from Baker Brothers had been transported to a residential area in Michigan. Both the Baker Brothers Site and the Michigan residential area were remediated and today are considered in compliance with DOE guidelines and released for unrestricted use.
As of 8/23/2015, the total compensation paid under Parts B and E of the EEOICPA, including medical compensation, for workers suffering from the effects of having worked at Baker Brothers site is $877,100
Baker Brothers Site Workers:
If you or your parent worked at this or any other DOE or AWE facility and became ill, you may be entitled to compensation of up to $400K plus medical benefits from the US Department of Labor. Call EEOICPA Counsel Hugh Stephens at 1-855-EEOICPA (336-4272) or fill out the form to the right, whether or not you have filed a claim and even if it has already been accepted or denied.
We can help with all OWCP (Federal Workers Compensation) claims, impairments, wage loss and health care. 2495 Main Street, Suite 442 Buffalo, NY 14214.
*Site Description and History:
The Toledo, Ohio, Site (formerly known as the Baker Brothers site) is located at 2551–2555 Harleau Place in Toledo at the intersection of Harleau Place and Post Street. The site consists of several buildings and grounds situated approximately 0.25 mile east of Interstate Highway 75 and 0.25 mile west of State Route 24.
Under subcontract to the Manhattan Engineer District (MED), Baker Brothers, Inc., machined and shaped natural (neither enriched or depleted) uranium from processed uranium metals for both the Clinton Semi-Works in east Tennessee and the Hanford nuclear reactor complex in the state of Washington. The estimated amount of material machined at the Toledo site was between 90 and 300 tons. The primary radioactive material of concern was uranium-238. After the subcontract with MED was terminated in 1944, the site was decontaminated and determined to be in compliance with guidelines in effect at that time. In 1944, Baker Brothers assets were liquidated and the property was sold to two independent interests.
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) surveyed the Toledo site in 1989 and identified localized areas of residual uranium contamination above applicable guidelines. The site was resurveyed in June 1990 and recommended for inclusion in the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP).
When the northern portion of the property was re-sold in 1992, the new owner contacted DOE and inquired about the radiological status of the property. DOE subsequently learned that soil and debris potentially contaminated with residual uranium had been moved from the site to a 7-acre residential property at 4400 Piehl Road in Ottawa Lake, Michigan, approximately 15 miles northwest of Toledo, for use as fill material. This property (formerly known as the Ottawa Lake Vicinity Property) comprises one owner-occupied house, a barn, and a small, 0.4-acre pond.
Remediation of the Toledo site was completed in September 1995 and consisted of (1) South Building floors, shelves, concrete floors, and a manhole cover; (2) North Building floors, walls, overhead structures, and portions beneath the concrete floor; and (3) exterior soil, concrete bins, courtyard walls, a concrete pad, and manholes.
Remediation techniques included HEPA vacuuming, use of hand tools, mechanical shot-blasting, mechanical grinding, cutting with pneumatic-powered saws, demolition, and excavation. Approximately 356 cubic yards of low-level radioactive waste and 5 cubic yards of mixed waste were generated from the Toledo site. At the former Ottawa Lake Vicinity Property, radioactively contaminated soil and debris were excavated using earth-moving equipment. Where access was limited, this material was removed manually. Main areas of contamination/excavation were a 2,200-square-yard section located south (the front) and east of the house, a 6-foot-high and 50-foot-long L-shaped berm northwest of the house, and isolated spots (mostly near the berm). Approximately 1,920 cubic yards of contaminated material were removed and transported for disposal to a licensed disposal facility in Clive, Utah, including soils, gravel, asphalt, concrete debris, and organic material (e.g., grass, roots, stumps, and shrubbery).
NIOSH SEC Evaluation Report:
Petition 204 (Jun 1, 1943 to Dec 31, 1996)
SEC Petition Evaluation Report – Petition SEC-00204 – Report Rev #:0
Report Submittal Date: November 13, 2012
Also Known As: Rems, Inc.