Also Known As: Alba Craft Shop, Alba Craft Laboratories, Albaugh
Time Period: AWE 1952-1957; Residual Radiation 1958-1993; DOE 1994-1995 (remediation)
Facility Type: Atomic Weapons Employer, Department of Energy
Facility Description: From 1952 to 1957, Alba Craft provided a variety of machine shop services on natural uranium metal for National Lead Company of Ohio (Fernald). Early work at Alba Craft included general and developmental machining of threaded reactor fuel slugs for use at the Savannah River Site. Subsequent production-scale operations consisted of hollow drilling and turning of slugs for the Savannah River and Hanford plutonium-production reactors.
Remediation activities under the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) occurred in 1994-1995 under the Bechtel National Inc.(BNI) umbrella site remediation contract. Remediation was certified complete in 1997.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
Alba Craft is listed as an Atomic Weapons Employer (AWE) and as Department of Energy (DOE) site under the EEOICPA.
Uranium metal machining at the Oxford Site from 1952 to 1957 for AEC resulted in contamination of the site and several nearby (vicinity) properties, all of which are privately owned.
AEC removed some contamination at the site in 1957. DOE conducted additional remediation of the site and the vicinity properties under FUSRAP in 1994 and 1995. DOE certified that the site conformed to applicable cleanup criteria in 1996 and released all properties for unrestricted use.
No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.
As of 03/01/2015, the total compensation paid under Parts B and E of the EEOICPA, including medical compensation, for workers suffering from the effects of having worked at Alba Craft is $347,866.
Alba Craft Workers:
If you or your parent worked at this or any other DOE or AWE facility and became ill, you may be entitled to compensation of up to $400K plus medical benefits from the US Department of Labor. Call EEOICPA Counsel Hugh Stephens at 1-855-EEOICPA (336-4272) or fill out the form to the right, whether or not you have already filed a claim and even if your claim has been accepted or denied.
We can help with all OWCP (Federal Workers Compensation) claims, impairments, wage loss and health care. 2495 Main Street, Suite 442 Buffalo, NY.
*Site Description and History:
The Oxford, Ohio, Site (formerly the Alba Craft Laboratories site) is located approximately 35 miles northwest of Cincinnati. The site comprises the former Alba Craft Laboratory property at 10-14 West Rose Avenue and vicinity properties at 525 South Main Street, 9 West Rose Avenue, 550 South Main Street, and West Rose Avenue adjacent to the former Alba Craft Laboratory building.
From October 1952 to February 1957, Alba Craft Laboratory, Inc., worked under a subcontract to National Lead of Ohio (NLO), a primary contractor to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), a predecessor agency of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). NLO developed and machine-threaded natural uranium metal to be used at AEC’s Savannah River site in South Carolina. NLO also performed hollow drilling and turning of uranium metal to be used in the Savannah River and Hanford, Washington, nuclear reactors. It is estimated that NLO machined several hundred tons of uranium at the Oxford site.
In January 1957, after the AEC machining and related activities ended, Alba Craft Laboratory personnel decontaminated the building and equipment in accordance with specifications outlined by the NLO Industrial Hygiene Department. Much of the radioactive material was swept or washed out the rear door of the building. Later, soil was removed from the area outside the door and sent to the DOE Feed Materials Production Center in Fernald, Ohio, for disposal. Since then, guidelines for residual radioactive contamination in buildings and soils have become more conservative. DOE reviewed site records and determined that further cleanup was warranted at the site.
At the request of DOE, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducted a radiological survey of the site in July and September 1992. Survey results identified residual uranium contamination at levels exceeding current guidelines both inside and outside the Alba Craft Laboratory building. As a result, the site was designated in March 1993 for remediation under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). This contamination and the building’s poor structural condition led to a decision to demolish and remove the structure from the site.
Before remedial action at the Oxford site began, DOE discovered that the former owner of the building had lived near the site at 525 South Main Street and that developmental machining operations were conducted inside the garage of the residence. In April 1994, an ORNL radiological investigation of the property revealed that residual uranium turnings, filings, and small particles had been transported from the laboratory to the residence. Concentrations of the residual radioactive material exceeded the current DOE guidelines and criteria. Follow-up investigations identified other vicinity properties that were contaminated at levels above DOE cleanup guidelines as well.
A drain line in the northeastern corner of the Alba Craft Laboratory building contained radioactive contamination above DOE guidelines, and 65 feet of pipe were excavated and removed. This, in turn, led to excavation and backfilling of the area on the vicinity property at 550 South Main Street. Radioactively contaminated soil was also excavated on approximately 400 square feet of West Rose Avenue in front of the Alba Craft Laboratory building, 50 square feet at 9 West Rose Avenue, and several exterior areas at 525 South Main Street.
After demolition of the Alba Craft Laboratory building and remediation of the vicinity properties, approximately 2,800 cubic yards of soil and building debris contaminated with low-level radioactivity were packaged and shipped to the Envirocare of Utah, Inc. (now known as EnergySolutions) disposal facility in Clive, Utah. The remediated site and the vicinity properties were restored to existing grade and revegetated. Remedial action was completed in 1995.
Also Known As: Alba Craft Shop, Alba Craft Laboratories, Albaugh