Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)
What is it?
The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) is a federal workers’ compensation program that covers injuries or occupational illnesses that occur on or adjacent to navigable waterways to workers who are engaged in maritime employment, such as loading, unloading, repairing, or building barges or other vessels. The LHWCA also provides survivor benefits to dependents if the injury or occupational illness causes or contributes to a covered employee’s death.
Do I qualify?
In order to collect under the LHWCA, you must first be eligible:
- You are a current or former EMPLOYEE of a traditional MARITIME OCCUPATION
Link: What constitutes a “maritime occupation”? (http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dlhwc/lhwca.htm#902)
- You were INJURED or have an OCCUPATIONAL ILLNESS
- Your injury or occupational illness occurred on or adjacent to the NAVIGABLE WATERS OF THE UNITED STATES
If you aren’t sure whether you qualify, contact Stephens & Stephens to find out!
If I qualify, what do I do?
FIRST, contact Stephens & Stephens for a free case evaluation.
NEXT, we will submit the necessary forms to the appropriate Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation (DLHWC) Office and request an informal conference.
Link: Forms (http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dlhwc/lsforms.htm)
THEN, we will collect any necessary employment and medical records as proof that you are entitled to benefits.
AFTER the informal conference, the claim examiner will make a recommendation and we will request a formal hearing.
To learn more about the LHWCP claim process, contact Stephens & Stephens today!
What does federal workers’ compensation include?
- MEDICAL EXPENSES, such as necessary medical, surgical, and hospital treatment.
- BENEFITS, such as death benefits and funeral expenses.
- COMPENSATION, the amount depends on whether your injury or occupational illness caused you total, partial, temporary, or permanent disability.
- VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION, to help permanently disabled employees return to gainful employment. It can include skills testing, counseling, job development, limited training, and job placement assistance.
Contact Stephens & Stephens today to find out whether you qualify under the LHWCA and to begin your claim!
CALL us at: 1-855-336-4272
EMAIL us at: firstname.lastname@example.org